Sunday, October 25, 2009

E is for...

E is for Exhale. After two crazy weeks of overextending ourselves, we cleared the calendar so we could take a little time to learn about…

Elephants! We didn’t see any real ones, but paid close attention to the Heffalumps and Woozels in Winnie-the-Pooh’s Blustery Day, read a fair amount of educational material, and pretended to be elephants every once in a while. Hey, did you know that an African elephant’s ear can be as tall as 6 feet and can weigh as much as 110 pounds? And did you know that the wrinkles in an elephant’s skin allow it to hold moisture? And can you name the book containing this repeated phrase: “I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful one hundred percent”?

And finally, E is for Earth Arts Fall Salon - this year's theme was "Kaleidoscope". My entry was "Collaborative Tempera" - one of two canvas paintings I've done in my entire life. This one was made using washable tempera paints reclaimed from a class I taught a couple of days earlier with a group of preschoolers - hey, it's all about the process :-) And, of course, Mateo was along lending his full support!

No comments: