We did not go out to celebrate the changing of years, but if we had I might’ve looked like this! Or not.We also did not write a New Year letter this year, but if we had it might’ve looked like this:
Mateo is the most energetic person anywhere. He is three and a half and loves playing cars and motorcycles, doing flip-flops and eating grape tomatoes. He likes buying his own cookies at the local coffee shop, too. He started going to “school” this past fall – a 10-week session of once-a-week one-and-a-half-hour ECFE classes. He will start “real school” (4-year-old pre-K) this fall…if he ever climbs fully aboard the potty train.
Kevin is adapting to a significantly longer commute to work, but we are grateful that he is valued at his job and that he is able to work from home once a week or so. Two of his photos were selected as covers for two of the company’s maps – one picture of the Boundary Waters and the other of downtown St. Paul. So proud! Kevin is a great Dad and plays with Mateo almost as much as Mateo would like. In case you’re wondering, that would be every waking moment.
I have all but given up glasswork for the time being, and am focusing my creative energy on an arts-based early literacy program that I am teaching once a month at our local library. I will also be teaching an altered books program for adults beginning at the end of January. How did I get so lucky to have this job I love? My other job (as Mommy) is one that I love, too. In case you’re wondering, it’s the harder of the two. In February, I will celebrate having completed three full years in the immersion parenting class offered through the University of Life.
It’s fun to brag a little bit about the good things, but there had been some tougher issues in 2009 as well. Illnesses and family emergencies seem to pop up when least expected and somehow shine a different light on things. I was recently asked what two words might best describe the coming year. For me, for our household, the answer is self-care. (Yes, I know it’s a single hyphenated word – don’t be so freakin’ picky.) Kevin and I are both realizing the physical manifestations of stress – we are going to have to pay close attention to what is happening in our lives if we are going to be our best. For Mateo, self-care is a no-brainer – three-year-olds want to do everything all by themselves all the time. Except when they want to be the baby.
Yep, our New Year letter might’ve looked like that. Or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment